Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Rough Guide to Argentina by many many authors

Though not a quick read or something anyone should read unless traveling to Argentina, I figured that I put in so many countless hours (much like with my GMAT books) going back and forth through every page of this book that I might as well give my thoughts on it. While traveling in or to Argentina, I spent over 40 hours on airplanes or in airports and 70 hours in buses or bus terminals. I did all my reading of this book while waiting.

I think this is one of the better travel guides you are going to find on the market, exclusively on Argentina. Compared to the Lonely Planet Guide--the king of travel guide companies--this book is much larger and thus has much more information to offer. Additionally, I feel this book is aimed more at people looking for an adventure. While the Lonely Planet Guide may recommend only flying to a certain destination because busing would be long and unsafe, the Rough Guide would suggest hitchhiking as a realistic alternative. I like the books that don't treat me like a helpless 13 year old girl from suburbia (I don't blame the Lonely Planet for focusing on this demographic because many travelers could fall in the same category as our 13 year old friend).

If you are going to Argentina and looking for adventure and lots of info, I'd recommend this book. However, I couldn't find a real new edition of this book, so my 2005 edition was already out of date when it came to prices and other ever changing information (museum hours, penguin migratory patterns). Additionally, this book doesn't cover all places and all cities, but what then would be the purpose of travel?

Completed: Early September

No comments: