Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Portage into the Past by Arnold Bolz

Yes, I couldn't go long without reading another Minnesota History book, and when I saw this at Lien's books, I couldn't pass. I already a good book on the natural history of the BWCA, but I still needed to find a good book about the human history. This book--for at least now--fills that gap in my library. This book tells the story of the original voyageurs to Northern MN, years before it became a state. The story is told through Arnold who with his wife and buddy travel part of the old, standard voyageur route from Grand Portage to Rainy Lake. As they travel the route, they stop and read the journals of the original voyageurs, writing about the same lakes they are traversing. This book would be great just with the many old voyageur tales; however, I could have done without hearing about Arnold's trip. With him and his wife spending all this time camping, I thought there would be some pretty intense sex. Instead, they would read each other stories about centuries' old trade routes and then go to bed....not the normal couple in my mind. I, honestly, get so excited by hearing the old Indian tales, I don't know how I could be calm enough to just go to bed. Apparently that is what happens when you get old. Other then the weak side story of Arnold and his wife, it was very informative.

Completed July 2007

No comments: