Thursday, August 16, 2007

Trading Up by Silverstein and Fiske


This was another free book from the Target corporate library. It has been sitting on my shelf for the past year, and I only read it because I wanted to be able to say I've read all the books in my library. Despite my hesitancy to read it, I found it a quick, enjoyable read; however, I don't know if I'd choose to read it unless I had some motivation such as reading everything in my library.

The book was published in 2003 by some guys from the Boston Consulting Group. It talks about how people will pay a premium for certain higher priced products. The book comes to its point through a number of case studies. It gives the history of such companies as Panera, Chipotle, Samuel Adams, BMW, Callaway, and Victoria's Secrets and discusses how these companies were able to be successful selling in mass higher priced items. If anything, it was fascinating to read about the histories of these companies. I especially am excited to have more knowledge on Victoria's Secret. I never thought the business of women's underwear could be so fascinating. I even now have a desire to go to one of their stores to get a better understanding, but I don't want to be labeled as a pervert.

Completed: Sometime in July
(If you haven't noticed, instead of publishing an entry the day I finish the book, I'm now waiting many weeks and not only am having trouble remembering the high points of some of these books but I'm not sure if I'm even remembering all the books I have read)

1 comment:

jermsnc said...

I've been wanting to read, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster by Dana Thomas. We can compare notes afterwards with this book you summarized. I think she's writing from the point of view that the companies your book discussed all ruined luxury. That is, mass luxury is an oxymoron b/c as soon as things get mass produced they get shitty. The limousine liberal in me is excited to buy into such a thesis, but I'll need to read it before I determine if it holds water.